Choosing a home for your rabbit is the most important purchase that you will make for your rabbit. Comfort is the most important feature to consider before you make your purchase.
Rabbits need some room in the home to comfortably move around, especially if your rabbit will be spending a lot of time in the home. Choosing a larger home is usually a good rule to follow. Here are some things to consider when choosing a home for your rabbit:
1. What is the adult size of your rabbit? If you have a baby rabbit, it is a good idea for you to consider what size he or she will be as an adult. You may want to buy a home that your rabbit can grow into to avoid purchasing a larger cage in the future.
2. How many rabbits do you plan on keeping in the home? Normally, not more than one or two rabbits are kept in home at one time. Rabbits need to bond to with one another, so it is important not to have more than one rabbit in the home at one time unless they have been bonded.
3. Should you purchase a cage or hutch? A wire cage is great for indoor use and allows your rabbit to have a great view. A hutch, such as the Super Pet Premium Rabbit Hutch 36 in., is great for outdoor use and is made to help protect your rabbit from predators or the elements.
4. Where should you place the home, indoors or outdoors? If you plan on keeping your rabbit indoors, place their cage in an area that wonï¿½t be affected by the sun, heat, or air conditioning. If you plan on using a hutch outdoors, place it in a covered area away from the elements. It is a good idea to place a wooden box inside the hutch to keep your rabbit covered on really cold days if your hutch is not covered on the sides.
5. Wire floor or smooth floor? A smooth floor is more comfortable on your rabbits feet, but a wire floor is easier to keep clean. Typically, rabbitï¿½s feet are fine walking on a wire floor. In addition, many cages with wire floors have a slide-out pan to make cleaning much easier. You can also place a grass mat on the wire floor to make it more comfortable and your rabbit will also enjoy chewing on it.
Whatever home you choose for your rabbit, make sure that you spend some time everyday with your rabbit and keep their home clean. Check out the great selection of rabbit cages and hutches at RabbitMart.